Firecracker 6: 2014

Happy Birthday America!

Firecracker 6 (6M)

Indianapolis, IN

July 4, 2014

Time: 47:30   Pace: 7:55

Overall: 174/837

Gender: 55/469

Age Group: F30-34, 20/103

First 3M: 23:43   Second 3M: 23:48

Somehow I did everything wrong before the start of this race but somehow managed to run a great time. Positive reinforcement? I was planning on going to bed early the night before, but our good friends from out of town came over for dinner and we grilled out and I had a few glasses of wine. And….ate a hotdog, chips and salsa with queso, potato salad – how’s that for pre race nutrition? I ended up going to bed at 10:30 but then at 11:00pm and 11:15pm I got two calls from the ER since I was the doctor on call for the weekend….awesome. Went back to bed around midnight.

Bryan left around 6:00am the next morning for work since he was working an event downtown for the 4th of July. I was still asleep when he said goodbye. It didn’t even dawn on me that my alarm had not gone off. I woke up at 6:30 in a panic. I had over slept. Apparently when I set my alarm the night before I set it for Saturday instead of for weekday. I was out the door by 7:00am. However, when I took Carson out before I left it was 58 degrees. Obviously since I wasn’t really up and moving yet, it was freezing to me. So what did I do? True to form, I grabbed my long sleeved running shirt and running capris. Ummm hello!!! It’s July! What was I thinking?! Obviously, I wasn’t. Still flustered from not waking up on time, I didn’t even think things through or think at all. I should have had my outfit laid out the night before, but I just didn’t even occur to me.

Last year when we lived downtown, it only took me a few minutes to get to the City Market and find parking. Now that we live in SoBro, it takes a little bit longer and I completely underestimated how long it would take. I was in full panic mode eating my picky bar in the car as quick as possible. I didn’t think I would make it to packet pickup in time. I found a meter spot (Score! Free on holidays!) a few blocks away from the City Market. I ran inside and made it just in time to get my bib at 7:30am. I now had thirty minutes to take my tshirt and goodies to my car, stretch, and get in my zone.

Since I was ill prepared for this race, I had no idea what to expect. The week leading up to the race, I was definitely in the mind set of running a PR. Last year I ran a 50:50 (8:28 ave pace). Since I ran a 7:46 ave for the Boston 5K in April and have been averaging 8:30 and under during my sprint triathlons, Bryan said I should easily be able to average just under 8:00 min/mile. However, I had not run anything over 4.5 miles during my runs since the Mini Marathon two months prior. I told myself, I would run the first mile with the intention of running a PR and see how I felt. If I felt good, I would go for it. If I was feeling blah, then I would take it easy.

Mile 1: 7:43. Okay I’m going for it.

Mile 2: 8:05. Starting to get warm.

Mile 3: 7:47. Stay right here.

Mile 4: 8:14. Yikes. Small, gradual hill in Fountain Square and I’m hot. Really hot. Smooth move on the long sleeves Melissa.

Mile 5: 8:06. Seriously, Melissa, it’s only 6 miles now pick up the pace.

Mile 6: 7:34. How Melissa got her groove back.

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 8.50.50 PM
Approaching the finish!

Woohoo! I averaged 7:55 for 6 miles and beat my time from last year by almost 3 minutes. Apparently eating bad the night before, getting little sleep, stressing out with calls from the ER late at night, waking up late, and eating right before the race is the perfect recipe to run a 6 mile PR. Who knew? I even got a top finisher beer mug for finishing in the top 76 females!

Post Race Selfie
Yep, I wore long sleeves and capris in July.
Top Finisher Mug: Top 76 Females

I was a little sad that I didn’t get to see Bryan during my run but he was a busy bee working. So after the race, I went home, took a nap, had a few more on-call phone calls and then went to the pool to swim 2100 yards. Happy 4th of July to me! After my swim and taking a few more on-call phone calls, my parents and I went downtown to see the festivities, had dinner and drinks, and walked around Georgia St. for the Indypendence Day Party. We left early and it was a good thing because I got another on-call phone call that evening. Can a girl get a break on 4th of July?! So I attempted to watch the fireworks on our deck, but the surrounding trees were too tall and I could only hear the fireworks and not see them. So I called it a day/night and went to bed early. What a hectic 24 hours and 4th of July. But somehow between all the craziness, I managed to run a great race.

Indypendence Day Festivities w/ the fam.


One thought on “Firecracker 6: 2014

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s